Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Beginning

This blog is about mysteries: mostly crime fiction, but also movies, tv shows, and anything else that crops up. I've been reading mysteries for decades, but in the last ten years or so, my mystery reading has become more intense, and I have started to travel to mystery conventions and have met a ton of really special people. It sounds corny, but reading mysteries has changed my life.

Now to the books: I recently finished City of Veils by Zoe Ferraris. This is the second book in her series set in Jeddah Saudi Arabia. The book features Katya, a lab tech, her  religious conservative friend Nayir Sharqi, and introduces Detective Osama Ibrahim. The trio investigates the murder of Leila Nawar, a young filmmaker. I have really enjoyed the mysteries in both this book and the first in the series, Finding Nouf, but find the background of Saudi culture and the treatment of women just as fascinating as the mystery. I highly recommend this book, and would encourage anyone interested in reading it to read Finding Nouf first.

No comments:

Post a Comment