Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Maple Leaf Monday

Okay, so I'm a day late...story of my life! Anyway, I am going to try to post every week or two about a Canadian book or author I have read. I've attended Bloody Words, the Canadian mystery conference, and been really ashamed at the small number of Canadian mystery authors I have read. I'd see an author on a panel and remark to a friend, "I have his/her book". The friend would ask, "Have you read it?", and my answer would be "No". That happened far too often, so I'm going to try to fix that.

My most recent Canadian read was Death on a No.8 Hook by Laurence Gough. This is the second book in his police procedural series set in Vancouver, B.C. , and features detectives Jack Willows and Claire Parker. Willows is on a little fishing vacation and lands a dead body. At roughly the same time, Parker stumbles across a body in downtown Vancouver, and the investigation is on. This is the duo that is followed throughout the 13 book series, starting with The Goldfish Bowl (1987), for which he won the Arthur Ellis award for best first novel, and finishing with The Cloud of Suspects (2003). Death was written in 1988, so it is a tad dated, but is still a good police procedural, and definitely not cosy. As I can be classified as a bit anal when it comes to reading series in order, I have read the first book and will continue to read through the series in order.
Ta for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment